I’m extremely lucky to be living in San Diego. Our weather is nearly perfect year-round and I rarely have to run my air conditioner. (Sleeping with the windows open is one of life’s great pleasures.) Many of you reading this post aren’t so fortunate. (On the other hand, your property taxes probably don’t get you as hot under the collar, am I right?)
My latest Forbes.com article explores the latest ideas and innovations for keeping yourself and your home cool even when the thermostat climbs into triple digits. To inform this piece, I reached out to my architect bestie, Dean Larkin, AIA, as well as sports medicine doc Gregory Charlop, MD and another great pal, Eric Goranson, founder and co-host of the syndicated radio program/podcast Around the House. All three had valuable insights to share. All three will also be guest moderators on my Clubhouse WELLNESS WEDNESDAY segment this afternoon (4 pm EST/1 pm PST). I hope you’ll join us for a very cool convo. (Bring your questions too.)
Smart patio innovations make outdoor living more comfortable
(Photo: Dean Larkin Design)
There was another mass shooting on Monday, July 4th. These tragic, criminal episodes are not only increasingly common, they’re increasingly stressful. I’m re-upping this post I wrote after another spate of shootings on creating sanctuary at home. It’s sadly still relevant.
I’m also re-upping this very recent Food for Thought post on gun safety. I hope it can prevent future tragedies. Please share it with anyone you know who owns a gun and keeps it at home.
NEW — FREE DOWNLOAD
Short on time? Download my FREE one page Beat the Heat tip sheet for 14 ideas on staying cooler at home this summer.
Coming TODAY to Clubhouse!
Join me and my guest moderators for an hour of cool tips on beating the heat at home. We’ll talk about indoor and outdoor living, exercising, pets, babies and seniors. The convo takes place at 4 pm EST, 1 pm PST and all the related time zones. I hope you’ll join us!
- 7/6 Beat the Heat
- 7/20 Wellness Benefits of Co-Living
- 8/3 Creating Healthy Back to School Home Spaces
- 8/17 Creating Healthy Work from Home Spaces
- 9/7 New Smart Home Technology and Wellness Design
- 9/21 Creating Healthy Garage Spaces
- 10/19 Designing for Hearing and Vision Loss
Past Clubhouse Recordings
Here are links to Clubhouse recordings from past sessions.
- 6/15 Designing with Plants — Recording Link
- 6/1 Wellness Design and Pets — Recording Link
- 5/18 Wellness Design and Art — Recording Link
- 5/4 Spa Bathrooms — Recording Link
- 4/20 Wellness Design and Appliances — Recording Link
- 3/16 Healthy Bedroom Spaces — Recording Link
- 3/2 Wellness Design and Tile Trends — Recording Link
- 2/16 Wellness Design and Autism — Recording Link
- 2/2 New Technology Ideas — Recording Link
- 1/19 Healthy Pantry Spaces — Recording Link
- 1/5 Top 2022 Wellness Design Trends — Recording Link
- 6/2 Smart Homes / Healthy Homes — Recording Link
- 6/16 Home Fitness Spaces — Recording Link
- 7/7 DIY-Friendly Outdoor Wellness Design — Recording Link
- 7/21 Healthy Kid Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/4 Healthy Work from Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/18 Smart Home CEDIA Expo Preview — Recording Link
- 9/1 Great Grill Centers (in time for Labor Day) — Recording Link
- 9/15 Laundry and Flex Rooms — Recording Link
- 10/6 Small Appliances for Healthy Living — Recording Link
- 10/20 Healthy Beverage Centers — Recording Link
- 11/3 Healthy Holiday Entertaining at Home — Recording Link
- 11/17 Self Care Spaces — Recording Link
- 12/1 Healthy Home Holiday Gift Ideas (And Pro Shopping Tips) — Recording Link
- 12/15 Achieving Your New Year’s Resolutions with Wellness Design — Recording Link
I’m a pretty avid reader on wellness-related topics and decided to share some of the riches I’m finding with my Gold Notes readers. Here are a few links you might find interesting and helpful:
- Disaster-related: Rebuilding a Home and a Life (KBB)
- Bathroom-related: Towel-buying tips avoid soggy remorse (Washington Post via San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Storage-related: Flair & function: Stashing Away Clutter… (San Diego Union-Tribune)