I’m camera shy. Sort of. It’s actually video cameras (and webcams) that put me on edge. But as I learned years ago — and keep re-learning — “Risk being uncomfortable” has its rewards in life. When asked to be a presenter in one of my absolute favorite events I had to say yes. The San Diego Union-Tribune Festival of Books started five years ago and I was thrilled to be invited to share work from home tips inspired by my new WELLNESS BY DESIGN book. Here’s a link to that presentation, (commercial-free) from my new YouTube channel. If you like it, please check out the other videos and subscribe!
Video Cover from Wellness by Design (Tiller Press) //
Photograph by Ben Sellon for Fully
BONUS NUGGET #1
Like most of the world, I’ve been riveted by the situation unfolding in Afghanistan. Unlike many others watching though, I’ve been engaged in the issue of helping our Afghan allies successfully resettle in the US since 2016. Late that year, I became a volunteer with the San Diego chapter of No One Left Behind. My focus soon became helping them with their job search efforts. In doing this work, I met hundreds of these Afghans and their families, visited their homes and made new friends. My latest Forbes.com piece shares some of the wisdom they can bring to our lives and homes, as we help them with theirs.
BONUS NUGGET #2
As you can see in my smart home video and WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS Clubhouse smart home convo last week, this is a subject I contemplate often. The folks at CEDIA asked me to share some thoughts about this with their integrator and manufacturing readers and I was happy to oblige. Here is my guest post from their blog. It was fun to write. I hope it’s fun to read too. (Let me know!)
In honor of WELLNESS BY DESIGN’s upcoming first publication anniversary, my publisher is hosting a Goodreads giveaway. Enter here to win one of 10 signed copies of my book (through 8/30).
I’m a pretty avid reader on wellness-related topics and decided to share some of the riches I’m finding with my Gold Notes readers. Here are a few links you might find interesting and helpful:
- Health-related: Ancient Secret to Avoiding Alzheimer’s(Greek Herald)
- Nutrition-related: Doctors Prescribing Fruits and Veggies (Blue Zones)
- Health-related: Surprising Ways You May Be Getting Sun-Damaged Skin (Kaiser Permanente Thrive)
I was recently a guest on the Flipping 50 Podcast, talking about making your home healthy for this phase of life. Here’s a link to the episode.
I’ve made a few schedule tweaks, and added the link to last week’s Smart Home CEDIA Preview segment.
These are all of the past and upcoming WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS events on the Clubhouse app. All are scheduled for 4 PM Eastern/1 PM Pacific the first and third week of the month! Hope you’ll join us for one or more. In case you can’t make it, I’ll be sharing links to the recordings afterward, as you’ll see below.
- 6/2 Smart Homes / Healthy Homes — Recording Link!
- 6/16 Home Fitness Spaces — Recording Link!
- 7/7 DIY-Friendly Outdoor Wellness Design — Recording Link!
- 7/21 Healthy Kid Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/4 Healthy Work from Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/18 Smart Home CEDIA Expo Preview — Recording Link
- 9/1 Great Grill Centers (in time for Labor Day)
- 9/15 Laundry and Flex Rooms
- 10/6 Small Appliances for Healthy Living
- 10/20 Drink to Your Health (Home Beverage Centers)
In addition to the full-length Festival of Books video above, I’ve created a series of shorts (one to two minute clips) about wellness design topics. Here are the latest:
- My Fitness Journey (With Two Big Takeaways for Yours)
- Smart Home Technology and Wellness Design
- Summer 2021 Fitness Goals
Coming up soon!
- Small Appliances for Healthy Eating — Subscribe to get notified when it goes live after Labor Day!