Reparations might seem like an odd topic for a wellness design professional to address – especially one based in California* – but there is a nexus: Homeownership enhances an individual’s, couple’s and family’s health, safety, security and well-being.
That’s why I’ve been pitching so many stories to opinion editors on the wellness side of housing stories. My latest, published in the Sunday San Diego Union-Tribune opinion section, looked at how redlining has made homeownership so difficult to achieve for Black Americans and how a reparations program focused on World War II veterans denied these benefits because of race can redress a wrong that persists to this day. Here’s a link to this piece. I hope you find it valuable reading!
*One fascinating thing I learned while researching this piece is that even though California was not a “slave state,” slavery was unfortunately practiced here, especially during the 1840s to 50s Gold Rush era.
Homeownership contributes to a family’s health, safety, security and well-being
I was happy to share my thoughts on the wellness benefits of biophilia for the National Kitchen & Bath Association’s newsletter. Here’s a link.
Built-in planters enhance a dining room
FREE “BEAT THE HEAT” DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE NOW
Heatwaves are wilting people, pets and plants across the country. How hot is it where you live? And when might it cool down? If you’re baking or steaming, take a minute to download my FREE one page Beat the Heat tip sheet for 14 ideas on staying cooler at home this summer.
Happening next week on Clubhouse!
Join me and my guest moderators for a fun, informative hour making your home friendly for back-to-school time! (We’ll be talking about K-12 and adult study areas too!) The convo takes place at 4 pm EST, 1 pm PST next Wednesday afternoon (and all the related time zones). I hope you’ll join us!
- 8/17 Creating Healthy Work from Home Spaces
- 9/7 New Smart Home Technology and Wellness Design
- 9/21 Creating Great Garage Spaces
- 10/19 Designing for Hearing and Vision Loss
Past Clubhouse Recordings
Here are links to Clubhouse recordings from past sessions.
- 8/3 Creating Healthy Back to School Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 7/20 Wellness Benefits of Co-living — Recording Link
- 7/6 Beat the Heat — Recording Link
- 6/15 Designing with Plants — Recording Link
- 6/1 Wellness Design and Pets — Recording Link
- 5/18 Wellness Design and Art — Recording Link
- 5/4 Spa Bathrooms — Recording Link
- 4/20 Wellness Design and Appliances — Recording Link
- 3/16 Healthy Bedroom Spaces — Recording Link
- 3/2 Wellness Design and Tile Trends — Recording Link
- 2/16 Wellness Design and Autism — Recording Link
- 2/2 New Technology Ideas — Recording Link
- 1/19 Healthy Pantry Spaces — Recording Link
- 1/5 Top 2022 Wellness Design Trends — Recording Link
- 6/2 Smart Homes / Healthy Homes — Recording Link
- 6/16 Home Fitness Spaces — Recording Link
- 7/7 DIY-Friendly Outdoor Wellness Design — Recording Link
- 7/21 Healthy Kid Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/4 Healthy Work from Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/18 Smart Home CEDIA Expo Preview — Recording Link
- 9/1 Great Grill Centers (in time for Labor Day) — Recording Link
- 9/15 Laundry and Flex Rooms — Recording Link
- 10/6 Small Appliances for Healthy Living — Recording Link
- 10/20 Healthy Beverage Centers — Recording Link
- 11/3 Healthy Holiday Entertaining at Home — Recording Link
- 11/17 Self Care Spaces — Recording Link
- 12/1 Healthy Home Holiday Gift Ideas (And Pro Shopping Tips) — Recording Link
- 12/15 Achieving Your New Year’s Resolutions with Wellness Design — Recording Link
I’m a pretty avid reader on wellness-related topics and decided to share some of the riches I’m finding with my Gold Notes readers. Here are a few links you might find interesting and helpful: