My first-ever Gold Notes blog post in July 2008 looked at the wellness benefits of induction cooking. Much has happened in the 14 years since then to advance the technology and increase its popularity.
I’ve shared those advances in numerous posts since then. In honor of Earth Day last Friday and with new building codes being passed around the country to phase out the use of natural gas in homes, it seemed like a good time to revisit induction cooking. Here’s the latest!
Induction cooktops and paired sensor vent hoods improve indoor air quality.
(BOSCH HOME APPLIANCES)
Have you ever fantasized about leaving city life behind and moving to a farm? Millions of our fellow Americans are making that move today by choosing to live in agrihoods. Read about these new communities in this new piece I penned for Forbes.com.
I love plants, but they don’t always love me back. Given that my horticultural ‘parenting’ skills can be generously described as ‘benign neglect,’ this is not surprising. I’m looking forward to my June 15 Clubhouse convo on Designing with Plants for some tips. In the meantime, I’m happy to share this delightful book for ‘brown thumbs’ like me.
What Is My Plant Telling Me is well-organized into alphabetical chapters by plant name and delightfully illustrated. Each plant opens with a helpful listing of light, water, soil, food and pot tips. After covering the basics and showing what the plant looks like, it covers the most common ailments. I love its ease of use!
Emily Hinsdale, the book’s author, is a life-long gardener, so likely someone who has experienced all of the plant ailments she writes about first-hand. I don’t think experiencing them myself will make me a life-long gardener, but I’m happy to bask in her wisdom.
Why did I choose this book for my latest Buzz? Well, I love plants, even when they don’t love me. My mom was a Master Gardener, but I don’t have her patience or passion for the subject, so I’ll happily keep this book on hand to help in my home beautification and wellness-enhancing efforts.
Next on Clubhouse
I’ll be talking about creating spa bathrooms with a panel of experts next week, on May 4th, 4 pm EST, 1 pm PST and all the related time zones. I hope you’ll join us!
- 5/4 Creating Spa Bathrooms
- 5/18 Wellness Design and Art
- 6/1 Wellness Design and Pets
- 6/15 Designing with Plants
Past Clubhouse Recordings
Here are links to Clubhouse recordings from past sessions:
- 4/20 Wellness Design and Appliances — Recording Link
- 3/16 Healthy Bedroom Spaces — Recording Link
- 3/2 Wellness Design and Tile Trends — Recording Link
- 2/16 Wellness Design and Autism — Recording Link
- 2/2 New Technology Ideas — Recording Link
- 1/19 Healthy Pantry Spaces — Recording Link
- 1/5 Top 2022 Wellness Design Trends — Recording Link
- 6/2 Smart Homes / Healthy Homes — Recording Link
- 6/16 Home Fitness Spaces — Recording Link
- 7/7 DIY-Friendly Outdoor Wellness Design — Recording Link
- 7/21 Healthy Kid Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/4 Healthy Work from Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/18 Smart Home CEDIA Expo Preview — Recording Link
- 9/1 Great Grill Centers (in time for Labor Day) — Recording Link
- 9/15 Laundry and Flex Rooms — Recording Link
- 10/6 Small Appliances for Healthy Living — Recording Link
- 10/20 Healthy Beverage Centers — Recording Link
- 11/3 Healthy Holiday Entertaining at Home — Recording Link
- 11/17 Self Care Spaces — Recording Link
- 12/1 Healthy Home Holiday Gift Ideas (And Pro Shopping Tips) — Recording Link
- 12/15 Achieving Your New Year’s Resolutions with Wellness Design — Recording Link
I’m a pretty avid reader on wellness-related topics and decided to share some of the riches I’m finding with my Gold Notes readers. Here are a few links you might find interesting and helpful:
- Gardening-related: 12 Drought-tolerant plants for the garden if you’re looking beyond succulents (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Health-related: Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Balance While Working from Home (USAA Newsletter)
- Sustainability-related: Reused grey water cuts usage, saves you some green (San Diego Union-Tribune)