When I bought Chez J, my suburban San Diego townhouse, in 2010, it was only four years old and in pretty good condition. There was no justification for remodeling a fairly new, generously-sized kitchen, so I didn’t.
I did think through how I would organize it, so that cooking tools would be easily accessible to my cooktop, cutting boards and cleaning supplies stored next to the sink and dishwasher and all of the drawers equipped with dividers. There were other enhancements too, including new floors, a hands-free faucet and small appliances for healthy meal prep, but so many of the improvements I made were in service of zoning my kitchen.
My latest contribution to the popular Design Milk website shares the wellness benefits of zoning your kitchen — whether you’re remodeling or just reorganizing the space for easier meal prep. Here’s a link to this recent cover story.
Sink accessories optimize your prep/cleanup zone.
(Photo Courtesy: BLANCO / Wellness by Design (Tiller Press, 2020)
Even though I’ve been writing about wellness design for more than a decade, I only recently came across the “grounding” concept. I wrote about it in my latest Forbes.com piece, which you can read here.
Being barefoot in nature has health benefits!
If you’ve read and enjoyed my Wellness by Design book, would you please take a few minutes to write an Amazon review? I’m trying to get my book into a trade show bookstore and this will be hugely helpful in that effort — so thanks in advance!
If the book is accepted, I’m going to do a giveaway drawing for my Book Launch Circle members, so be sure to join after writing your review! Here’s a link. (Your name and email are never shared or sold.)
If you’re a regular Amazon shopper, you can write a review even if you didn’t buy your book there. (It helps to mention in your review whether it was a review copy, gift, library loan, etc.)
NEW FREE DOWNLOAD
As you might have noticed, there’s a new FREE DOWNLOAD available! Click here or on the image to get yourself a copy.
My latest FAST FACTS video on small appliances to help you eat healthier is now live on both YouTube and Instagram. Hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think please. (Also, keep an eye out by following me on either platform for a feature video on this topic next month.)
These are all of the past and upcoming WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS events on the Clubhouse app. All are scheduled for 4 PM Eastern/1 PM Pacific the first and third week of the month! Hope you’ll join us for one or more. In case you can’t make it, I’ll be sharing links to the recordings afterward, as you’ll see below.
- 6/2 Smart Homes / Healthy Homes — Recording Link!
- 6/16 Home Fitness Spaces — Recording Link!
- 7/7 DIY-Friendly Outdoor Wellness Design — Recording Link!
- 7/21 Healthy Kid Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/4 Healthy Work from Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/18 Smart Home CEDIA Expo Preview — Recording Link
- 9/1 Great Grill Centers (in time for Labor Day) — Recording Link
- 9/15 Laundry and Flex Rooms — Recording Link
- 10/6 Small Appliances for Healthy Living
- 10/20 Drink to Your Health (Home Beverage Centers)
- 11/3 Healthy Holiday Entertaining at Home
- 11/17 Self-Care Home Spaces
- 12/1 Wellness Design-Inspired Gift Ideas
- 12/15 Healthy Home-inspired Resolutions
I’m a pretty avid reader on wellness-related topics and decided to share some of the riches I’m finding with my Gold Notes readers. Here are a few links you might find interesting and helpful:
- Health-related: Harvard Study Links Poor Air Quality to Lower Cognition (DesignWell)
- Home-related: We Risk a Cyber 9/11 (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Health-related: Six Ways to Keep Your Immune System Healthy (Kaiser Permanente Thrive)
Every so often, I say yes to a quality manufacturer offering me a wellness-enhancing home product. Woolroom was one of those manufacturers! I’m super-enjoying the wool duvet insert, pillows and mattress protector they sent me.
As I wrote in my Wellness by Design book, wool has numerous wellness properties, and can be enjoyed year-round in your home.
I’m happy to recommend these bedding products to
family, friends and readers!
(Photo Courtesy: Woolroom)