When I was growing up in Brooklyn, our washer and dryer were located in the finished basement, near the furnace and a three-quarter utility bathroom. It was rather a dreary spot, and two flights down from the bedrooms and linen closet where the baskets would be unloaded.
When my ex and I built our suburban Tampa house in 2003, I wanted the laundry room to be as bright and cheerful as possible. I skirted the utility sink, hung a framed sunny island print on the wall and had white cabinets with stylish knobs installed. We still had to carry laundry baskets up a flight of stairs to the bedrooms, but not two.
If I were building a house tomorrow, I’d opt for a one-story home with laundry area combined with a mud room next to the garage. Many builders are choosing this placement too, with second laundry spaces sited near the bedrooms in larger properties. (I don’t need anything that big!)
Wherever your laundry area is located in your home, it should be as functional and ergonomic as possible. I interviewed three pros to get tips on achieving this for my latest Forbes.com article on the topic, and for today’s Clubhouse WELLNESS WEDNESDAY conversation to follow.
Here’s a link to the article.
Here’s a link to the Clubhouse event.
Laundry rooms have evolved into multi-functional spaces
(Photo: BLANCO/Wellness by Design,
Tiller Press, 2020, (c) J. Gold)
Housetrends Magazine asked me to write a piece for them on the benefits of touchless smart home technology. Here’s a link.
If you’ve read and enjoyed my Wellness by Design book, would you please take a few minutes to write an Amazon review? I’m trying to get my book into a trade show bookstore and this will be hugely helpful in that effort — so thanks in advance!
If the book is accepted, I’m going to do a giveaway drawing for my Book Launch Circle members, so be sure to join after writing your review! Here’s a link. (Your name and email are never shared or sold.)
If you’re a regular Amazon shopper, you can write a review even if you didn’t buy your book there. (It helps to mention in your review whether it was a review copy, gift, library loan, etc.)
NEW FREE DOWNLOAD
As you might have noticed, there’s a new FREE DOWNLOAD available! Click here or on the image to get yourself a copy.
I’m delighted to be guest-hosting another @KBtribechat on Twitter today at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific. The sponsor is @LG Electronics. The topic is laundry room enhancement for wellness. Here’s a link to participate. (Include their #KBtribechat to respond to questions during the hour-long conversation.)
As noted above, today is the laundry room-focused Clubhouse event! Click the links above, below or here to participate!
These are all of the past and upcoming WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS events on the Clubhouse app. All are scheduled for 4 PM Eastern/1 PM Pacific the first and third week of the month! Hope you’ll join us for one or more. In case you can’t make it, I’ll be sharing links to the recordings afterward, as you’ll see below.
- 6/2 Smart Homes / Healthy Homes — Recording Link!
- 6/16 Home Fitness Spaces — Recording Link!
- 7/7 DIY-Friendly Outdoor Wellness Design — Recording Link!
- 7/21 Healthy Kid Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/4 Healthy Work from Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/18 Smart Home CEDIA Expo Preview — Recording Link
- 9/1 Great Grill Centers (in time for Labor Day) — Recording Link
- 9/15 Laundry and Flex Rooms — TODAY!!!
- 10/6 Small Appliances for Healthy Living
- 10/20 Drink to Your Health (Home Beverage Centers)
- 11/3 Healthy Holiday Entertaining at Home
- 11/17 Self-Care Home Spaces
- 12/1 Wellness Design-Inspired Gift Ideas
- 12/15 Healthy Home-inspired Resolutions
I’m a pretty avid reader on wellness-related topics and decided to share some of the riches I’m finding with my Gold Notes readers. Here are a few links you might find interesting and helpful:
- Health-related: Find your sleep “sweet spot” to protect your aging brain (CNN)
- Home-related: Silk pillowcases soft on benefits for hair and skin (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Family-related: Signs Children Are Having a Difficult Time Going Back to School (Infographic from Dr. Roseann)