I’m fortunate not to have lived through a direct hurricane hit. Back in 2004, Hurricane Charley was heading straight for us in Tampa. I went into my Red Cross emergency preparation mindset mode, but was super-nervous anyway. My ex-husband was on temporary duty in another state with the Air Force and I was caring for my stepdaughter alone. At the last minute, the storm turned and hit about 100 miles south of us. Two years later, I designed the interiors of a duplex home that had been flattened by that hurricane. (It was one of the most interesting projects I’ve ever worked on since everything had to be brought in by boat!)
My latest piece for Forbes.com reveals the types of scams that flourish in the wake of hurricanes. Anyone, from a vulnerable senior to a savvy CEO, can be taken in. These are some of the most typical post-hurricane rackets and how to avoid them.
This is one of the kitchens I designed for a hurricane-rebuilt home in Florida
(Photo: Jamie Gold Kitchen, Bath and Wellness Design)
It was one year ago today that my WELLNESS BY DESIGN book published. And what a long strange year it’s been! Thank you to everyone who bought a copy, shared a review on Goodreads and Amazon, joined my Book Launch Circle and shared my book with your social media community, friends, clients and relatives.
I so greatly appreciate your continued support!
PS: If you haven’t joined my Book Launch Circle yet, it’s definitely not too late! I’m talking to another wellness design manufacturer about a new giveaway for Fall 2021. BLC members get notification of these, and an extra shot at winning a cool home enhancer!
I was recently quoted in the NKBA blog on biophilia. Here’s a link to that piece.
I’ve added a few events later this season. Today is the pre-Labor Day Weekend Great Grilling Centers event. Link below to participate.
These are all of the past and upcoming WELLNESS WEDNESDAYS events on the Clubhouse app. All are scheduled for 4 PM Eastern/1 PM Pacific the first and third week of the month! Hope you’ll join us for one or more. In case you can’t make it, I’ll be sharing links to the recordings afterward, as you’ll see below.
- 6/2 Smart Homes / Healthy Homes — Recording Link!
- 6/16 Home Fitness Spaces — Recording Link!
- 7/7 DIY-Friendly Outdoor Wellness Design — Recording Link!
- 7/21 Healthy Kid Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/4 Healthy Work from Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/18 Smart Home CEDIA Expo Preview — Recording Link
- 9/1 Great Grill Centers (in time for Labor Day) — TODAY!!!
- 9/15 Laundry and Flex Rooms
- 10/6 Small Appliances for Healthy Living
- 10/20 Drink to Your Health (Home Beverage Centers)
- 11/3 Healthy Holiday Entertaining at Home
- 11/17 Self-Care Home Spaces
- 12/1 Home-inspired Gift Ideas
- 12/15 Healthy Home-inspired Resolutions
Coming up soon:
- Small Appliances for Healthy Eating — Subscribe to get notified when it goes live after Labor Day!
I’m a pretty avid reader on wellness-related topics and decided to share some of the riches I’m finding with my Gold Notes readers. Here are a few links you might find interesting and helpful:
- Home-related: How can I get organized and minimize my stress (Forbes.com)
- Fitness-related: Four ways to boost the mental health benefits of your next workout (Kaiser Permanente Thrive)
- Health-related: Conventional wisdom about metabolism is completely wrong (Global Wellness Institute)