This is something I see regularly, both in my reading and in discussions with colleagues – and in my own life. Chez J is a three story townhouse. I don’t mind the stairs at all. In fact, I rather like having the bonus cardio.
At the same time, each step reminds me that if I had an injury that kept me from being able to walk (even temporarily), my home would not accommodate my needs. Millions of other homeowners (and renters) could – and sometimes do – find themselves in the same predicament.
One person I wrote about in this week’s post couldn’t leave her home for almost three years because both entrances had stairs! Harvard’s Joint Center for Housing Studies pointed to the accessibility deficit in its 2023 housing report and noted that more help is needed, especially for millions of people who can’t afford to modify their homes. You can read about the need, and some helpful advice and resources here.
Making a bathroom accessible supports safety and independent living for older users and those with [PHOTO COURTESY OF DESIGNER: DIANE FOREMAN, CKBD ALLIED ASID; PHOTOGRAPHER: ROGER TURK/NORTHLIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY; GENERAL CONTRACTOR: NEIL KELLY COMPANY. // WELLNESS BY DESIGN (SIMON & SCHUSTER)]
Coming to Clubhouse next week!
Join me and three experts on the latest tile trends and a preview of April’s Coverings Expo. The discussion takes place at 4 pm EST, 1 pm PST (and all the related time zones) on April 5th! I hope you’ll join us.
COMING UP THIS YEAR:
- 4/5 Tile Trends and Coverings Show Preview
- 5/3 Designing with Water Features (Swim Spas, Fountains, Pools, Etc.)
- 5/17 Outdoor Kitchen Ideas and Trends
- 6/21 Best Man Cave Ideas and Trends
- 7/5 Best She Shed Ideas and Trends
What other topics do you want to hear about in the new year? Comment below and let me know.
PAST CLUBHOUSE RECORDINGS
Here are links to Clubhouse recordings from past sessions.
- 3/15 Wellness Design and Dementia — Recording Link
- 3/1 Best Wellness Products from Design & Construction Week — Recording Link
- 2/15 Designing with Fire Features (Fireplaces, Fire Tables, Fire Pits, Etc.) — Recording Link
- 1/18 Healthy Home Improvements with Best ROI — Recording Link
- 1/4 Creating Home Fitness Rooms — Recording Link
- 12/7 Best Healthy Home Upgrades for 2023 — Recording Link
- 11/16 Top Kitchen & Bath Design Trends — Recording Link
- 11/2 Creating Serene Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 10/19 Creating a Quieter Home — Recording Link
- 9/21 Creating Great Garage Spaces — Recording Link
- 9/7 Smart Home Innovations — Recording Link
- 8/17 Creating Healthy Work from Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/3 Creating Healthy Back to School Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 7/20 Wellness Benefits of Co-living — Recording Link
- 7/6 Beat the Heat — Recording Link
- 6/15 Designing with Plants — Recording Link
- 6/1 Wellness Design and Pets — Recording Link
- 5/18 Wellness Design and Art — Recording Link
- 5/4 Spa Bathrooms — Recording Link
- 4/20 Wellness Design and Appliances — Recording Link
- 3/16 Healthy Bedroom Spaces — Recording Link
- 3/2 Wellness Design and Tile Trends — Recording Link
- 2/16 Wellness Design and Autism — Recording Link
- 2/2 New Technology Ideas — Recording Link
- 1/19 Healthy Pantry Spaces — Recording Link
- 1/5 Top 2022 Wellness Design Trends — Recording Link
- Find these links on their new archive page!
Here are a few links that could be helpful to you in living a safe, healthy life at home:
- Sustainability-related: Heat Pump Revolution: What You Need to Know — The Guardian
- Accessibility-related: The Right Gear, Strategies Can Assist Cooks with Disabilities — Washington Post via San Diego Union-Tribune
- Fitness-related: How to Clean a Yoga Mat — Real Simple