I couldn’t decide which story to focus on this week, so I’m sharing all three!
Let’s look first at the most design-oriented feature, which was my Trend Spotting look at the 2021 online-only Kitchen & Bath Industry Show. This is online now in the current issue of Kitchen & Bath Design News. Man, that was a tough one to cover! There’s simply no substitute for spending three exhausting days spinning through a convention center inhaling the latest releases. Adding a layer of challenge, the virtual KBIS platform crashed and I had to cobble together impressions from press releases, vendor links and the kindness of colleagues. I sure am looking forward to wearing my a## out next year in Orlando! In the meantime, these were the trends and hot products I was able to spot online.
Personalization and customization are definitely trending this year — as seen in flex front refrigerator panels
(Photo Courtesy: Samsung US)
The second story I’d like to share is how to optimize your home — or a loved one’s — for telehealth. Virtual doctor visits have soared since the pandemic began, and many will continue long after we’re past it. The benefits of convenience and comfort are too great to ignore. If you are going to be talking regularly with one or more of your care providers, it’s worth looking at the space and technology you’re using. Here are some telehealth tips from the pros in my latest Forbes.com piece.
I shared one of my greatest inspirations for the design work I do with House Beautiful readers. You can check that out here. They didn’t share my family photo, but I’m happy to do so here:
Sister, Mother, Grandma and I in the early 90s
- Realtor.com shared 5 Tragic Design Fails Committed by Designers — In Their Own Homes. Mine was one of them.
- Better Homes & Gardens’ BHG.com shared my insights in 7 Outdoor Living Trends That Will be Huge in 2021.
- Family Handyman shared my tips in its Home Gym Paint Colors for 2021 feature.
- Pro Remodeler interviewed me for a video on Biophilia.
SAVE THE DATE
- Our next Clubhouse wellness design event will be Thursday, May 13, 7:30 PM Eastern/4:30 Pacific. The topic will be outdoor living. Our special guest will be design-builder Kimberly Kerl of Kustom Home Design. Kim shared some gorgeous projects with my for my May KBDN Trend Spotting. I know she’ll be sharing some great ideas and insights in this hour-long audio chat next month.
- Our June Clubhouse wellness design event will be Thursday, June 10, 7:30 PM Eastern/4:30 Pacific. The topic for that one will be health-enhancing fixtures and faucets. Our special guest will be Kym Glazer with the Decorative Plumbing & Hardware Association. Kym literally grew up in the business, knows everyone and is a ton of fun.