I came across the ‘water stress’ term last week and had to check it out. It doesn’t mean drowning your sorrows in a gallon of Evian or floating in a salt pool after a tough day at the office. Bummer, right? It turns out that water stress is a plumbing industry characterization of the many challenges our drinking and wastewater systems are enduring – and what this can mean for us. It’s especially acute if you live in a drought or hurricane zone. You can read all about this topic in my latest piece here. I’ve got a few solutions for you in it, so do check it out.
Scottsdale, Arizona, loved for its natural beauty, is running short of water
Do you work in residential design or remodeling and live in the Portland, Oregon area? If so, come check out my WELLNESS MARKET presentation this evening at 5 PM. Hosted by Arizona Tile and the local NKBA chapter in Beaverton, you’ll be treated to an hour of tips on marketing and media. Here’s a link to sign up.
BOOK BUZZ: PREVIEW
A press release about this book hit my inbox today and I’m looking forward to reading it. Here’s what caught my attention:
“The book offers advice on designing, renovating and building homes to last a lifetime. Certain elements – such as systems for energy conservation and clean indoor air – cannot be ignored in the beginning. But homeowners may be able to upgrade to more luxuriant features and fixtures later on, and use the savings to pay for longer-lasting roofing, siding, and windows. The book lays out a three-tiered plan for designing accessible homes, starting with designing an accessible home for visitors. Virtually all the homes profiled in the book have ample circulation space in kitchens and baths for people using walkers or wheelchairs or who just need more space for maneuverability.”
RELEASE DATE: Tuesday, March 14, 2023
Coming to Clubhouse next week!
Join me and three experts — one Alzheimer’s educator, one aging in place designer and one technology integrator for caregivers — on WELLNESS DESIGN AND DEMENTIA. This will be one of the most important discussions I ever host, so please join us and share this information with someone who may need it. The discussion takes place at 4 pm EST, 1 pm PST (and all the related time zones) next Wednesday, March 15. I hope you’ll join us and share your fave finds too.
COMING UP THIS YEAR:
- 3/1 Kitchen & Bath Industry & Builder’s Show Pro Recap
- 3/15 Wellness Design and Dementia
- 4/5 Tile Trends and Coverings Show Preview
- 5/3 Designing with Water Features (Swim Spas, Fountains, Pools, Etc.)
What other topics do you want to hear about in the new year? Comment below and let me know.
PAST CLUBHOUSE RECORDINGS
Here are links to Clubhouse recordings from past sessions.
- 3/1 Best Wellness Products from Design & Construction Week — Recording Link
- 2/15 Designing with Fire Features (Fireplaces, Fire Tables, Fire Pits, Etc.) — Recording Link
- 1/18 Healthy Home Improvements with Best ROI — Recording Link
- 1/4 Creating Home Fitness Rooms — Recording Link
- 12/7 Best Healthy Home Upgrades for 2023 — Recording Link
- 11/16 Top Kitchen & Bath Design Trends — Recording Link
- 11/2 Creating Serene Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 10/19 Creating a Quieter Home — Recording Link
- 9/21 Creating Great Garage Spaces — Recording Link
- 9/7 Smart Home Innovations — Recording Link
- 8/17 Creating Healthy Work from Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 8/3 Creating Healthy Back to School Home Spaces — Recording Link
- 7/20 Wellness Benefits of Co-living — Recording Link
- 7/6 Beat the Heat — Recording Link
- 6/15 Designing with Plants — Recording Link
- 6/1 Wellness Design and Pets — Recording Link
- 5/18 Wellness Design and Art — Recording Link
- 5/4 Spa Bathrooms — Recording Link
- 4/20 Wellness Design and Appliances — Recording Link
- 3/16 Healthy Bedroom Spaces — Recording Link
- 3/2 Wellness Design and Tile Trends — Recording Link
- 2/16 Wellness Design and Autism — Recording Link
- 2/2 New Technology Ideas — Recording Link
- 1/19 Healthy Pantry Spaces — Recording Link
- 1/5 Top 2022 Wellness Design Trends — Recording Link
- Find these links on their new archive page!
Here are a few links that could be helpful to you in living a safe, healthy life at home:
- Kitchen-related: Expert tips on refrigerator organization — AHAM Blog
- Design-related: 7 ways to make your apartment happier — Washington Post via San Diego Union-Tribune
- Health-related: Surprising link between hydration and the aging process — Blue Zones